Monday, August 10, 2009

Discipline

We were talking about how we should handle discipline with the kids. We want to be able to agree on discipline and rewards for the kids. I'm reminded of an episode of The Cosby Show where the parents figured out that Theo would go to his mom and the girls would go to their dad when they wanted to get away with something that they knew the other parent would veto.



I don't expect any less from our children. I expect any daughters we have to know how to manipulate their daddy. I won't give in to tantrums, but you shouldn't be surprised to see me buying a pony in response to puppy-dog eyes and and a quivering lip.

This is why we need to agree on things. As a team, we can cover each other's weaknesses. Moriah and I solve a lot of our conflicts with the age-old method of Rochambeau, but I doubt if we can answer "But that's not fair!" with, "Well, you know that paper beats rock."

3 comments:

  1. I would like to disagree with Don that our little angels will come home with a pony. I can cry like the best of them and I've never even gotten to go horseback riding, let alone bring a horse home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids become very good at manipulation. VERY GOOD!! Sunday at church Anna told her teachers in the Kindergarten class that she needed to go to the bathroom. Instead she went to the car to get a candy bar she had in there. Set off the car alarm, set off the children's department alarm, and came looking for me while about 4 people were looking for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am glad in some ways I didn't think this much about parenting, it would have made me crazy.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete