Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Boys and Girls

I was in a coworker's office yesterday and saw a picture of her granddaughter in an outfit that Grandma probably picked out. She obviously wasn't happy about wearing it. My first thought was, "My daughter isn't wearing black velour and leopard print."


My second thought followed immediately. "We might have a daughter..."
That was the first time that it really sank in.

Like all men, there's a part of me that assumes we're having a boy. It's not that I don't want a girl, I just don't know how they work. Boys make sense to me. I remember all of the fun toys and games Moriah isn't going to like hearing about. I look forward to giving my son his first pocketknife and teaching him to tie his first tourniquet.

What do you do with a girl? Will I be expected to attend tea parties? Do girls even like pocketknives? How soon is too soon to teach her that boys are different from girls and that difference is deadly poisonous?

Still, there is a part of me that looks forward to the possibility of having a daughter. There's just something about the way a little girl can capture your attention. Maybe it's the way that girls respond to praise.

Great. Now we need to have a second one. I want one of each.

2 comments:

  1. What??? No girl thoughts?
    What about our sweet Lyric! She loves trucks, and swords....just not dirt! lol

    You'll be great parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why God gave me 3 daughters. I guess He knew I wasn't doing such a great job with my boys!!

    ReplyDelete