Wednesday, July 15, 2009

How we told my parents the news

So I'd planned for awhile how I wanted to tell my parents we are pregnant and had some help from the Internet. So the first day we found out, I called mom's local bakery to place an order. I ordered a dozen cupcakes, 6 chocolate & 6 white for some variety. The icing was going to be pink & blue booties. Cost $9.00. They even agreed to wrap up the box so my mom couldn't peak. On top of the box was a sign saying DO NOT OPEN until you are with the Evans (parents) & Hilde (sister) families. (pictures to follow)

I had faxed the below poem to the bakery to put in with the cupcakes:

I do not have a face to see
Or put inside a frame
I do not have soft cheeks to kiss,
I don't yet have a name.
You can't yet hold my tiny hands.
Nor whisper in my ear
It's still too soon to sing a song,
or cuddle me so near.
But all will change come March 2010
That's when they say I'm due.
I'm your new grandchild;
I can't wait till I meet you
All I ask between now and then
Is your patience while I grow
I promise I'll be worth the wait,
Because of all the love we'll know.
So what I have to give to you now,
Is a wish to you from me
I cannot wait to be a part
Of this wonderful family.

So all things were set, cupcakes with extras ready for pick up Monday 7/13 by 4pm. Monday I talked to mom 3 times & dad once and told them I got them a going away present for their trip to Europe (They fly out 7/18 for 2 wks) & to have them open the package with my sister's family. So Monday she didn't pick them up because they didn't go into town.

Tuesday I called mom 2-3 times to find out the plan & she informs me she thinks they'll do it Thursday. I try to tell her & not give anything away that she will kick herself if she waits.

Wednesday: I called mom from work at 3 pm & she tells me: "I have the box in the car and they wrapped it up so well I can't even peek". I start to giggle & have to hide it. She tells me they are going to Fargo then will see Robin's family that night so the night of waiting begins.....

Finally at 7:30 that night we get a call from an ecstatic grandma. Her first question is "Why didn't you tell me when you were here"? Now if you read the first post that says I didn't know you will understand but try to explain that to an excited grandma.

So then she puts my sister Robin (Mother of 2) on. She asks why we didn't tell them while we were there. Same explanation given. Robin says Congrats & sounds some excited. Robin was one of the first to see the cupcakes after my nephews opened the box & she said "What do pink & blue booties have to do with going to Europe? Oh my God, their pregnant".

The last person I talk to that night is Dad who sounds happy & surprised. Same explanation of why we didn't tell them in MN. (If one more person asks me this question, I may just go prego crazy on them). Now when my sister was pregnant my dad wanted to be able to ask about the baby and not call it baby so he gave them womb names. Baby 1 was George & Baby 2 was Sam. So he starts naming off cousins so we can choose a womb name for me. We settles on Phil as in Phyllis (Nana) or Philip so we are gender neutral. Don still tries to call it Philbert (aka. Filbert) because that's what my mom calls Hazelnuts & he finds it funny because it annoys me.

Interesting point. For the first 2 grand babies, my dad gave womb names to, the first initial of the womb name became their first initial in their real name. George became Garret & Baby 2 was Sam who became Stephen. Wonder if this will hold true for our child too?

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I understand why half of the cup cakes had pink booties and half had blue booties, since we don't know if we're having a boy or a girl yet.

    Now I have to wonder: half were chocolate. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG DON!! TOOOOO FUNNY!
    CONGRATS YOU TWO! YOU WILL BE AWESOME PARENTS!

    ReplyDelete